Security Statement for the Money Service Operators Licensing System(MSOS)
You acknowledge and agree that the Government shall not be responsible in any manner for direct, indirect, special or consequential losses or damages howsoever arising out of the use of this website. The Government does not guarantee that any messages sent over the Internet will be completely secure. The Government does not accept any responsibility for any damages incurred by you if you send a message to us, or if the Government sends a message to you at your request, over the Internet. Communications over the Internet may be subject to interruption, delayed transmission due to Internet traffic or incorrect data transmission due to the public nature of the Internet or otherwise.
The secrecy and confidentiality of money service operators’ information are the utmost concern of Customs and Excise Department (C&ED).
C&ED has taken the following security measures:
- C&ED's MSOS Services are operated in a secure site that use 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology - a well-proven industry standard for encryption to ensure both confidentiality and integrity during data transmission over the internet. All personal data provided to the C&ED via MSOS are well-protected, and access to them is restricted to authorised officers in C&ED only.
- For registered users, you have to use your User Name and Password to login your MSOS Account. Your MSOS Password will be revoked upon 5 unsuccessful login attempts.
- If your computer remains inactive for a period of time after login, the system will automatically log out itself to prevent any unauthorised access.
- C&ED's MSOS is protected by "firewalls" and monitored to prevent any unauthorised access.
- Stringent administrative control is put in place to monitor all access to the system and ensure that all transactions are properly authorised.
- C&ED does not send personal information to you by unencrypted email nor embed hyperlinks in email for accessing your MSOS Account.
C&ED recommends that you adopt the following practices:
- Always remember to log out properly and close the browser after you have finished using MSOS Services.
- Do not use easy-to-guess characters (such as your birthday or Hong Kong Identity Card Number) as your password.
- Change your password on a regular basis.
- Access MSOS only through the C&ED's departmental website.
- Avoid conducting transactions from public terminals.
- Install proper firewalls, anti-virus software and anti-spyware software in your computer, and update them on a regular basis.
- Do not disclose your User Name or Password to anyone, including a person who claims to be a staff member of C&ED.
If you suspect any security breach or unusual activity, please contact C&ED immediately at 2707 7837.